Hope Hostel provides accommodation for men aged 25 years and over who are in crisis, are homeless or at risk of homelessness. This includes those with tenancy issues.
We have 24 single rooms and six crisis beds. Parramatta Mission has been providing crisis accommodation for men in Western Sydney for over 40 years. Hope hostel forms part of the Western Sydney Single Men’s Homeless service package, funded by Family and Community Services.
Hope Hostel offers the following services:
- Crisis accommodation
- Access to Outreach HNSW (on site) monthly
- Provision of information, advocacy and liaison
- Housing registration and referral
- Case management and support
- Access to outreach Centrelink (on site) weekly
- Access to outreach mental health clinic twice a week.
For clients in the service we aim to assist in the following ways:
- To develop and increase their self-esteem and self-confidence
- To provide all relevant information to strengthen linkages with the community
- To have access to case management and to obtain support for presenting issues
- To have safe place to stay
- To have access to information to enable them to make informed choices; referrals into transitional or longer term accommodation, drug and alcohol, counselling , employment and health (mental and physical health)
Unfortunately, the lack of affordable, secure and appropriate housing, and the increased stresses on tenants and home owners, means Hope Hostel is as popular now as it was four decades ago. However, the way we support and accommodate homeless men has certainly changed! At Hope Hostel, we are transforming the concept of crisis accommodation.
Hope Hostel opened its current building in March 2011. It is a purpose-built hostel providing a wide range of support services for homeless men in Western Sydney. The high standard of accommodation provides dignity to people facing crisis and is the equal of any hostel in Australia. Clients have individual rooms with secure access, a dedicated reception area, three amenities areas, a housekeeping service and disability access.
Facts & Figures
· Over 1,100 requests for overnight emergency accommodation are filled each year
· Typically 350 men stay at the hostel for between 1-13 weeks every year
· The hostel averages 98% occupancy annually
For emergency accommodation call Link2Home on 1800-152-152.
To learn more about Hope Hostel, please contact the Team Leader on (02) 9683 1630.